Renewable energy is basically the energy that comes from a resource that will not diminish. When asked what renewable energy is, most people tend to think about renewable energy as just solar or wind energy because they are the most popular and cost effective. Though our focus is on solar energy, for academic purpose, renewable energy resources also include geothermal energy, tidal energy, hydrogen energy, biomass energy and wave energy.
Unlike non-renewable energy resources, users cannot store what they collect with renewables over a long period of time because they are more users based. For instance, the United States currently has a reserve of coal that could last up to 325 years or more at current consumption levels. For solar or wind energy, a battery or batteries are required to store the collected energy and that can provide enough power supply for about 48 – 72 hours of use or more depending on capacity.
There are a lot of advantages of renewable energy that makes their use better. Fossil fuels, are a limited source of energy. Therefore looking at other options to replace them, should they become short in supply gave birth to rise in solar energy and other renewable options. Below are the advantages of renewable energy.
- Renewable is profitable. You save money big time when you transition to renewable energy.
- Renewable energy is a safe form of power supply. The collection and usage process is far safer than non-renewable energy.
- Renewable energy is an abundant form of energy. While non-renewable energy depletes, renewable energy does not. For instance one day of sunlight could equal one year of energy for the planet, but the method of storing such huge amount of energy is not yet developed.
- Renewable energy can be collected in multiple locations simultaneously.
- Renewable energy is a clean form of energy to use. Emissions that are harmful are not associated with clean renewable energy.
- It is offered in multiple formats. Renewable energy collection level is more diverse non-renewables.
- Renewable energy can provide countries with energy independence.
- Renewable energy is a good economic force. In many countries renewable energy accounts for hundreds of thousands of job creation and business growth. Businesses that depend on renewable energy are not affected by power outage.
- It is a stable form of energy. Power generated from renewable energy is stable just like non-renewable energy.
- Renewable can energy improve public health. There are potential health benefits that a society may enjoy if it transitions to renewable energy. Study by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency shows that almost $1 trillion is spent each year on conditions that could be linked to the consumption of fossil fuels. This can be avoided by renewable energy usage.
- Renewable energy is relatively easy to maintain. Once your renewable energy product has been installed by experts, the costs of maintenance are relatively very low. Solar energy solutions for instance can have a no-maintenance lifestyle for years at a time.
Are you looking to transition to stable and cost effective solar energy, contact us to evaluate and calculate your power needs.